Marketing and PR: Whats the Difference?
While they often get lumped together in industry jobs, Marketing and PR are not all one and the same. Clear differences between the two are found in the underlying definition: Marketing is focused on promoting and selling a specific product/company, whereas PR is focused on maintaining a positive reputation for a company as a whole. Let’s dig in a little deeper on the two professions:
- Writing press releases
- Pitching your client to the media and securing stories and opportunities
- Building relationships with the media and influencers in the industry
- Creating advertising campaigns for clients
- Buying advertising slots on relevant media platforms (radio, TV, print or online)
- Producing materials for clients like brochures and websites
The truth is, you can’t do Marketing without doing a little PR, and you can’t do PR without a little Marketing. Both professions play essential roles in accomplishing company goals and objectives and create brand awareness.